The Ukrainian Institute of America is in “Museum Mile” on the southeast corner of 79th Street and 5th Avenue, New York City is a French Renaissance style turn-of-the-century mansions. It is open to the public.
In 1898 Isaac Fletcher, a banker and railroad investor, commissioned the famous architect C.P.H. Gilbert to build a house using William K. Vanderbilt’s neo-Loire Valley chateau as its model, on the property which was originally the Lenox farm.
Harry F. Sinclair, of Sinclair Oil Company, purchased the Fletcher Mansion in 1920 and sold it in 1930 to Augustus Van Horne Stuyvesant, Jr., a descendant of Peter Stuyvesant. Who lived there with his unmarried sister then alone until 1953.
William Dzus, inventor and owner of the Dzus Fastener Company, founded the Ukrainian Institute of America in 1948—to promote Ukrainian art, culture, music, and literature. In 1955, the mansion was purchased by the Ukrainian Institute of America with the support of Mr. Dzus. In June of 1962 the mortgage was paid off and subsequently the Ukrainian Institute of America attained landmark status.