Doors on the Strecker Memorial Laboratory on Roosevelt Island. Strecker Laboratory is east of the Renwick Ruins on Southpoint. Built in 1892, Strecker Memorial Laboratory was designed by Frederick Clarke Withers and built in 1892.
Strecker Laboratory was the first laboratory in the country devoted exclusively to pathological and bacteriological research. Administrated by the Charity Hospital, later called the City Hospital. In 1907, the Russell Sage Institute of Pathology worked there until 1912 when they moved to Weill Cornell Medical in Manhattan and Rockefeller University.
The New York City Transit Authority refurbished the building’s exterior and it now serves as the power conversion station for the E and V subway lines. Roosevelt Island Historical Society » Strecker Memorial Laboratory (rihs.us)