Completed in 1908, the American Seaman’s Friend Society Sailors’ Home and Institute was designed by William A. Boring, the architect of the Ellis Island’s immigrant station. Originally built as a hotel for sailors with cabin-like rooms, the landmarked hotel was restored on its centennial in 2008.
In 1912, the survivors of the Titanic stayed at the hotel until the end of the American Inquiry into the ship’s sinking. The surviving crew held a memorial service at the hotel four days after the ship sank.
In 1944, the YMCA took over the hotel from the Seaman’s Relief Center. And during the ’80s and ’90s the hotel hosted Hedwig and the Angry Inch and the Million Dollar Club, amongst many other rock-n-roll events. (Sourec: https://www.thejanenyc.com/history/).