Fifth Avenue Doors

I was told that my parents had their honeymoon at the Sherry Netherlands at 781 5th  Avenue while my father was on leave during WWII (first two pictures). During WWII some hotels offered free stays to soldiers on leave. Coincidentally, Sherry is my name. My mother says my name wasn’t chosen because of the hotel. It may have been a subliminal choice.

For Norm’s Thursday Doors January 5, 2017

History of The Sherry.

Sherry Netherlands, 12/31/2016
Sherry Netherlands, 12/31/2016
Sherry Netherlands, 12/31/2016
Sherry Netherlands, 12/31/2016

The old Plaza Hotel, famed for the children’s books about Eloise, is across the street at 59th Street and 5th Avenue. Next to the Plaza is Bergdorf Goodman.

Plaza, 12/31/2016
Plaza, 12/31/2016
Plaza, 12/31/2016
Plaza, 12/31/2016
Bergdorf Goodman, 12/31/2016
Bergdorf Goodman, 12/31/2016

33 thoughts on “Fifth Avenue Doors

1. Trini Lind 2017-01-05 / 6:43 am

Beautiful! And What a cool story about your name! 🙂

• Sherry Felix 2017-01-05 / 7:11 am

Thanks Derick. Mum says my name wasn’t chosen because of the hotel. But they did get to spend a few nights there for free while Dad was on leave before I was born. It may have been a subliminal choice.

2. carol1945 2017-01-05 / 8:55 am

Ohooh, I love the idea of the hotel and your name being the same. And, I love your photos.

3. sustainabilitea 2017-01-05 / 9:25 am

These are all stellar, Sherry, and wonderful memories for those first two. No favorites today, although I do love the second shot.

janet

4. Blanca 2017-01-05 / 9:41 am

Beautiful architecture wow!

5. Vicky 2017-01-05 / 12:30 pm

A lovely piece of your family history backed up in style, wonderful doors, and my thoughts are your name may have been related to happy times for your parents…

6. notetotraveler 2017-01-05 / 12:42 pm

Stunning place! I love the Old World feeling of the Sherry. What an elegant place for your parents to spend their honeymoon.

Donna

• Sherry Felix 2017-01-09 / 10:12 am

No she didn’t. However, a sailor on board one of the Cunard ocean liners when I was 5 called me Port and said that is was a drink like Sherry and also nautical. I still use that nickname as you may notice. 🙂