Castle – July One Photo Focus

The original “castle” by Bren Ryan of RyanPhotography was dark (on purpose I’m sure) so first I opened up the shadows in Lightroom. I felt that the castle needed some breathing space and some interest in the sky. To do that I masked the castle in Photoshop and imported a suitable background of my own, taken in Panama 5/21/2014, to place behind it. I selected the water and duplicated it as a layer and stretched it to fill the bottom and stretched part of it to fill the area on the bottom left. I blended it in by cloning and masking then merged those layers. Lastly, I brought it into onOne for a few more adjustments.

Created for Stacy Fischer’s July One Photo Focus.

Scotney Castle, Kent by Bren Ryan with Volcan Baru background by Sherry Felix
Scotney Castle, Kent by Bren Ryan with Volcan Baru background by Sherry Felix
Scotney Castle, Kent by Bren Ryan
Scotney Castle, Kent by Bren Ryan

16 thoughts on “Castle – July One Photo Focus

1. Anne Sandler 2016-06-22 / 11:12 am

Great editing Sherry. I think my first effort would be to swap out a sky. Monday!

• Sherry Felix 2016-06-22 / 11:21 am

Thanks. I enjoy this challenge. Hope you have fun with it.

2. svtakeiteasy 2016-07-01 / 6:15 pm

Nice work with the sky and new setting for the manor, Sherry.

3. Emilio Pasquale 2016-07-10 / 9:28 am

Great job, Sherry. Exactly what I felt when I first saw the photo, too tight. I wanted to add space all around but my skills are nowhere near yours so I didn’t even try! Maybe next month.

• Sherry Felix 2016-07-10 / 12:08 pm

Thankyou. In Photoshop you start by making the canvas size larger, bring in a background, then mask out bits of the castle. Lost of free tutorials out there 🙂

• Emilio Pasquale 2016-07-10 / 11:07 pm

I know. That’s how I learned Lightroom, with free youtube tutorials. One day!