Many of us have this problem — the function to have single images open larger when clicking on it is not automatically created in the editor. Here are two methods to add a link to make the image open in a new window larger. If you get stuck contact WordPress support for help.
Easy way to make a single image open larger in the new WP editor:
- Upload an image, or a series of images as single images, (I make mine 1200 px on the wide side) and insert it/them into your post or select an exiting image while in edit mode then
- Click on the Insert/edit Link button (looks a little like a figure 8)
- Put a check in Open link in a new window/tab and
- Click Save.
- Update your post.
A slow way to make a single image open larger in WP Admin:
- Go to WP Admin
- Select Posts and
- Select the post you want to edit
- Click edit
- Select the image and then
- Click on the pencil icon that pops up at the top of the image
- In the image details window go to display settings and
- Select full size, and link to media file (this method can also be used to link to a page in your bog or somewhere else).
- Click Update.
- Update your post
I think it would be nice if WordPress applied these settings automatically on single image.