My interpretation of the rose still life by Julie Powell was created using Photoshop and onOne. I eliminated the dark triangle in the upper left and cloned out the canvas. I added a bit more cloth using cloning on a new layer and masks. Then I used a photo of mine of roses as an overlay on the cloth. Finally a bit of web.
My version was created using Lightroom to straighten it, cropped it to put the focus on the room, and brought out the details in the shadows a bit. Then I used onOne enhancements and effects, added to layers with different blending modes in Photoshop. I wanted to give Y. Prior’s photo of the lobby of The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond, Virginia, an old time effect without making it black and white. I added a photograph of my grandmother, Florrie James (ne Kennedy) taken when she was 18 years old, October 1, 1905, in Perth, Australia.
Robin Kent’s original (below) was perfect. I straightened the Ferris wheel and darkened the sky in Lightroom. Then in Photoshop, added wisps of mist, and stars to make it mystical (above).
In 1956 when I was seven my mother and I moved to London. It was my job to light the coal fire in our flat at Queensborough Terrace, near Kensington Gardens. Central heating was not common then; therefore, London was a much foggier place. I remember fogs so thick it was hard to see a yard ahead. Coal fires helped create smog, a mix of smoke and fog. Yellow smog was tinged by the Sulphur in the coal. They were called “pea soupers”. The Great Smog of 1952 (Wikipedia) killed many Londoners. Dirty unwashed and untreated coals were eventually banned and smoke free coals and fuels used instead. Now central heating is the norm and fireplaces occasionally used to create ambience.
The original “castle” by Bren Ryan of RyanPhotography was dark (on purpose I’m sure) so first I opened up the shadows in Lightroom. I felt that the castle needed some breathing space and some interest in the sky. To do that I masked the castle in Photoshop and imported a suitable background of my own, taken in Panama 5/21/2014, to place behind it. I selected the water and duplicated it as a layer and stretched it to fill the bottom and stretched part of it to fill the area on the bottom left. I blended it in by cloning and masking then merged those layers. Lastly, I brought it into onOne for a few more adjustments.